18 August 2008

Choose !! Choose !! Choose!!

When it comes to decorating a house, I don't have much idea. But I hear others talking about different ideas from Crown molding to Corner table and all I have is an avid interest to learn from the enthusiasts who write about it in web, who show their decor in Home TV, who write in blogs, who write books....And collectively I think I now have the resources to plan on decorating my own... leave alone the decision making part though ;-)

As our new home is getting ready @ Chennai, we will soon be selecting paints, main door, oonjal etc.. Though my mom and dad do regular progress check of construction, I wanted to start give my ideas to implement before it is too late.

And now one of the mind boggling things for me is painting the house & color selection -I know I want to paint the corner wall in a different color from the side walls and when I browse at Asian paints- OMG They have all kinds of choices and for a too-scared-to-decide-person like me, too many choices are always going to be difficult.

When we decided to buy a home, Param made the choice on builder and apartments and we decided then that I will have the final say on our home interior decoration.
Since it is almost time for me to call my shots, I am kind of getting overwhelmed with the choices and the thought that I cannot blame him if anything goes wrong ;-)

BTW, We do not want to have the usual dining table in our home, since we both realize we mostly use it as a table to leave our handbags etc. Hence I am thinking about a low dining table where you get to sit more close to the floor (though the downside is that it will be a little tough on folks with arthritis)
Anyway I need to start getting my shortlist of painting & decoration ideas, furniture choices in chennai soon and I need suggestions and your experience- Anything that worked out for you :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw, that's so exciting for you!! Decorating or dressing a home is one of the most sweetest things ever :)

I don't have much experience doing it in India, but I can tell you one thing. Don't fret the colors, as a gallon of paint is the cheapest mistake you can make, if you do that is. :)
Stick to same family of colors for the accent wall, or go complete opposite. I have pale olive green on the side walls with the accent wall a dark cranberry red. People love it.
A friend painted the side walls a baby lavendar and the accent wall a royal purple. So the possibilities are endless :)

Can u tell am excited!? :D

Shanthi said...

i have imagined alternate walls with different shade of same color for my dream house...

Oonjal sound very interesting :) the traditional pithalai chain with elephant or something like will be awesome.

I donno when i can visit ur kutti palace :D But sure that it will be on my next India visit :)

Risha said...

Congratulations!!Happy to know that you are putting your own place together.

Having put together a lil abode, the best way I guess to put together the electrical stuff and furniture would be to actually be in that place and imagine how you would need things to be on a everyday basis.

Kitchen is one place that would need more time to work on.

Nail it in style.

Good luck!!

Mohanraj C Periyasamy said...

Use little of glass furniture.. It's so hard to handle them. Think of your everyday need and use before buying anything.

Low lying furnitures will make the house look very cozy and bigger but it's tough for our parents.

I like furnitures with no carvings but with some attitude (the shape of it).

And plan for the storage well in every possible place.

I believe that the light colors are better for eyes and miind. Also they help keeping the house brighter and lesser use of eletric lights.

Plan the electric switch boxes, telephone sockets & TV scokets before painting.

Bargavi Karthik said...

yes..Asian paints website show so many colours and ideas..but make sure on the colours..because the ones we selected in the web never matched with the colour we saw in the retail outlet..
so be careful in that.And on choosing 2 colours i belive the same shade with lighter and darker ones make the room look bright and spacious..