29 January 2008

Lessons from people around

Param told me a real life story he heard recently from an old man. Here it is.

The old man and his wife had been to their son's place for 3 week Christmas holiday. They had real good time and it was surprisingly one nice holiday with least arguments between them. But before they could return back home, one early morning, his wife passed away

And to quote the old man, "I thought I'll be the first one to go as I thought she has better chance of taking care of herself .But things did not happen that way. On that fateful day when she was taken to hospital, I made a promise to her in my heart that I'll take care of myself as she would have and I will not let my health go bad".

I believe telling something like above to a group of people is setting a good example of how one would love his wife from the bottom of heart. I was moved by what happened and it made me think a lot about marriage & expressing our love to our loved ones when they are still with us. A husband and wife will always have arguments no matter how long they have been together. But letting the anger from these quarrels and arguments stay in our hearts at the end of the day doesn't make sense.

Also before I came to Uncle Sam's land, I did not have much idea about westerners and and their values for family & relationships. But these last two years have influenced my opinion on their values a lot. Their sense of togetherness and respect in family system seems a little different from what we have back in our place, but still commendable in its own way.

In families back home, it’s not common for husband/wife to express their affection to each in words that would set an example for kids/others to emulate (just my opinion).Isn't it good to express your affection to your loved ones in front of your kids (words/action) once in a while and set a good example for kids to emulate?

6 comments:

Mohanraj C Periyasamy said...

You're right. We don't express our emotions well. I am not sure about others but we Tamils don't do it among our family members. We need to express more openly rather keeping it to oneself.

Every time you get a chance, express your feelings to your friends, family and colleagues about what you feel.

Shanthi said...

I feel we learn how we should not be from parents most of the time ;)

Loga said...

Mohan
Completely agree :-)

Shanthi,
Guess not always :-)

Mohanraj C Periyasamy said...

Are you spamming on your own blog?? Jus kidding..

Anonymous said...

It is really a nice thing to read and think over. Yes, we donot explicitely express our real feelings to our dear ones. But it is not late even now . Thank you, I will try to practice the nicer things you had taught.
(On a hinder thought and on a lighter vein, I donot know what would have been your reaction, if i had expressed my feelings to your mum " SAMI, You are simply great. I love you so much Darling" when you are in your teens!!!)
But now really it is a great thing - people have to live and express for themseleves. Never worry about what others may think of your actions. In 100% of the time nobody except your dear ones, notices or think anything about you.
WITH LOVE
DAD

Loga said...

Appa
I really wanted to know what you thought about this, That was one of the main reasons to write, Now I know,It would have been really cool if you had talked like that ;-)