29 May 2006

This is how I am not a doctor.

Caste Reservations for College seats!! I have read so many posts regarding this and wanted to share my experience with it.

When I was in my 12th...Though I managed to get not-so-excellent-but-good-scores at 12th, I did not get a medical seat..I lost my medicine seat because my cut-off was less than 1% from the required. On the other hand, few classmates who were having 6 to 7% less than mine were able to get medicine seats because they were reserved for them!! Our medical board (as though they were going to give seats to all qualified) conducted a counseling to 1,00,000 students when they had only 1000 empty seats. Was it logical? I also attended the counseling and was given waiting number 111 (nammam thaan!!!)

I heard Ambedkar recommended reservation for 10-15 years. But it seems to be around for much more than that ! I have seen some of my friends who have taken advantages of these reservations, They would be Christians , but as per government records they would be maintaining their Hindu caste so that they can enjoy reservations!!!

Let the people who need assistance be given financial support for studies even in school level, but I feel they should compete with everybody and win their seats.These are changes I sincerely hope should happen so that my children also do not crib about reservations later !!!

5 comments:

Shanthi said...

Yes loga the world missed we both excellent doctors ; )

Even in engineering i have seen a very rich girl whose parents are doctors getting a free seat in a famous college! She doesn't deserve it ! Her score was very less than me ! and she was so rich !! i happened to see her in lifestyle with bhu and nirai. i didn't want to go and talk to her bcos of this !!

Loga said...

yup our country has lost so many Drs :)
but still its a serious issue..I hate it when ppl take advantages of reservations

Niraimathi said...

I second You :) The concept of reservation is one of the worst things existing in our country :(
but I don't think it will be removed in near future... our politicians are too good and sincere to do so :(

Loga said...

true words ..but still i m optimistic

nullity said...

clever & selfish politicians - mad followers...long live india....politician s play with the sentimental emotion of the public....thats the reason they are scared to take a census...what we need right now is reservation based on data and NOT based on Peoples' EMOTIONS...ur post resembles the thoughts of millions...