09 February 2006

Two names

What do u think about two names?
In my family, everybody was given a standard name (which would most probably be grandfathers/grandmothers names) and another nick name without any reason. As days go by, everybody will be so accustomed to the second nick name and called by their nick name. But when it comes to official purpose, they go by their standard names, even though its not always used.


I feel the the child was given the standard name to please the elders of the family. The parents prefer the nick name as that name would be their choice. And so everybody have two names.

Whenever I need to introduce myself,I was always confused whether I need to tell my standard name or my nick name.

Two of my cousins did not get their standard names registered itself at school.But we others have still that confusion- whether to call ourselves by First standard name or Second Nick name. This is weird, isn't it?

I prefer atleast the future kids in our family be given a single name!!

Do u have the same confusion in your family Or Is it unusual only with ours?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good one Asha! I am so glad that tho they named me after my mom's dad , they just called me with the same name

Mohanraj C Periyasamy said...

I have a nick name as there is another cousin with same name. I am very well known with my nick name at my hometown and for my college friends.. But I am known with my official name to my college friends, colleagues & wife..

Yeah, I agree that it's confusing and I would definitely name my kids with some choice of mine :-)

Loga said...

Hi chithi
Thankoo, U escaped some how ;-)

Mohan,
Ya, Truly confusing and Let us atleast not mess the names

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.